Web/Comics 2023 is the first in a new workshop series for the ACM Hypertext conference. The Web/Comics workshop focuses on the transformation of the comics medium enacted by hypertext through the emergence of webcomics, or “graphic sequential narratives that are created, published, and read on-line”. It’s organised by Francesca Benatti (The Open University, UK), Linda Berube (City, University of London, UK) and myself (City, University of London, UK).
The workshop will be held in person in conjunction with the Hypertext 2023 conference, 4 or 5 September, at the Biblioteca Hertziana, Rome. Remote participation can be considered.
Participants are asked to submit a short lightning paper representing current work or original thinking in this area with the intention of encouraging interactive group discussion. The work presented should directly engage with the hypertextual specificity of webcomics.
Accepted participants will be invited to submit revised papers, incorporating feedback and insights following the workshop, in a special collection of The Comics Grid: Journal of Comics Scholarship.
Call for papers: https://ht.acm.org/ht2023/webcomics/
ACM Hypertext Conference 2023: https://ht.acm.org/ht2023/
- Papers submission: June 28, 2023 (AoE)
- Notification of acceptance: July 24, 2023
- Camera-ready paper due: August 6, 2023
- Workshop: September 4-5, 2023
Submissions of original, previously unpublished papers are invited in the following, not exhaustive, topic areas:
- Hypertext systems for webcomics publishing
- Cognitive processing, hypertext and webcomics
- Emergent webcomics formats
- Webcomics and transmedia
- User interface in webcomics
- Reading webcomics as hypertexts
- Authoring webcomics
- Issues in interdisciplinary webcomics research
Looking forward to your submissions; there’s still some time!
You must be logged in to post a comment.